Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Thoughts

Of late a song has been keeping my mind occupied.
This song is one of my favorite songs and I keep listening to it whenever I can.
From the time I heard it for the first time, the song has never failed to amuse me and whenever I have ‘heard’ it again, it has shown me a new side, a new meaning.

The song I am talking about is ‘Main Yeh Soch Kar..’ sung by Mohd. Rafi. I’m reproducing the lyrics of the song here

Main Yeh Soch Kar
Main ye soch kar uske dar se uthaa thaa, ke vo rok legii manaa legii mujhako.
Havaaon mein laharaataa aataa thaa daaman, ke daaman pakar kar bithaa legii mujhako.
Kadam aise andaaz se uth rahe the, ke aavaaz dekar bulaa legii mujhako.
Magar usane rokaa,
na usane manaayaa,
na daaman hii pakadaa,
na mujhako bithaayaa,
na aavaaz hii dii,
na vaapas bulaayaa,
Main aahistaa aahistaa badhataa hii aayaa, yahaan tak ke usase judaa ho gayaa main ...

My first thought (Impulsive)
Wow
Great Lyrics
Poor Guys (as in the couple who went through it)

Then I heard it again. (Feminist)
My thoughts were, what an idiot, what an egoistic chap. Good for the girl, she deserves someone better, someone who loves HER more and not his misplaced ego.

After a gap of few months I heard it again and felt fear. (One Side of The Coin)
The fear of rejection,
The fear of being alone,
The fear of feeling unwanted.

After this I stopped listening to this song.

Then out of the blue, a close friend mentioned it and I heard it again. (The Other Side of The Story)

I got goose bumps.
How would one feel to see the love of their life walking away.
To want to stop him/her but can’t.
To feel used.

Now when I hear it, I feel pity. (The Practical Me)
Pity for people who love someone but can’t communicate.

How can a relation survive where one is hesitant in sharing there thought with the other partner.
If you love someone, the love is unconditional and accepts the partner as is. If this is true then I don’t see any reason why one can’t convey what heart feels.
Well, if you want your partner to understand your unspoken words…. Then I guess, you are asking for too much......
My Mom has a different take on this song...
She showed me another meaning in this song
SACRIFICE.
As per her the lady has purposely decided not to stop the love of her life so that he could go ahead explore the world and conquer what he had set out for.
It's her love for him to set him free to be what he wants to be and if in the bargain she looses the love for ever she would accept that with a smile.....
Must say a very thought provoking interpretation...
The link to the video of the song

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry but I have never understood the sacrifice things.. where lot of hindi movies were based on... I mean the couple knows that they can be happiest together rather than afar. They can talk it out and work together for each of their goals.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard the song but the situation looks similar to the one mentioned in Mohan Rakesh's Aashad ka ek din. I saw that play recently.

    About different views or feelings for the same song at different times, this is how our mind and heart works. See what you can relate most to. In a very high probability, your emotional or mentan state at those times would be very close to how you interpreted the song.

    I have written a similar kind of post about my views of Dil Chahta Hai. Its just too human. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm,
    you interpreted it wonderfully..
    love has it's various hues,,
    which varies from time to time,
    diversifies with eaach bends of life..
    i agree love has to be unconditional,,but the feelings must not be pented-up..
    Th makers of this Song will praise yuou from heaven for none has ever review it so crisply....guud

    ReplyDelete

Time Zones